Coosa Valley Medical Center Full Circle
The 1940s marked a period of growth and change for Sylacauga and its surrounding communities. More people were moving to the area, due in part to the construction nearby of a munitions plant that coincided with America’s involvement in the second World War. For years, the absence of a regional medical center meant long trips to distant facilities for surgery and other health care needs. The time had come to bring those services closer to home: the collective efforts of community leaders and concerned citizens made it happen. On April 1, 1945 Sylacauga Hospital opened its doors with the distinction of being the only non-military hospital built in the U.S. during World War II.
The city continued to grow and so did Sylacauga Hospital. Three major additions were made to the original facility between 1963 and 1980. As its service area began to expand, Sylacauga Hospital changed its name to Coosa Valley Medical Center, a more-than-symbolic reflection of consistent growth. In 1995, the facility was purchased by Baptist Health System but returned to local ownership in August of 2004. A new energy began to emerge within the walls of CVMC and throughout the community. The facility had come full circle and big plans were in the works, including the revival of a project that had been waiting in the wings for years our new inpatient facility, the West Wing.